Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IC Channels

Go down 
4 posters

What type of IC channel would you like?
Location-style
IC Channels Empty17%IC Channels I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Communitcator-style
IC Channels Empty33%IC Channels I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Both types of channel
IC Channels Empty50%IC Channels I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
No IC channel
IC Channels Empty0%IC Channels I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
IC Channels Empty0%IC Channels I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Hassien
Admin
Hassien

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:40 pm

With the guild being officially started up, we have to decide if we what we want in terms of an IC channel.
Here are the two types I am familar with and proposing:

Location IC Channel

What it is
The IC channel represents a physical location. In Amphitheatre this will likely be a tavern or estate of sorts, where characters can interact daily. Private areas such as personal chambers would be kept to whispers or party.

Pros
Ability to RP while farming or questing. Likely RP will take place more often within the guild because of it. Guild stories are kept within the channel, and may not be spied on/critiqued by outsiders. Guild RP in this form can not be griefed nor can it be interrupted by outside forces.

Cons
Character may not be at location (whether RPing elsewhere at the time or in a different area ICly) and can not communicate with peers over distances. May discourage random RP from happening (as you won't have to meet at a physical location).

Common Post Style
Hassien settles into his chair, peering over the financial charts in front of him. After a moment, he sighs and looks up, an eyebrow cocking in question. "What is this?" He whispers incredulously. "How could you simply misplace a thousand gold?"

Potential IC locations:
Private Estate
Owned Tavern
Business Establishment

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Communicator IC Channel

What it is
The IC channel represents a method of communication over distance, or alternatively as a method of voicing thoughts that outsiders shouldn't hear. Done via communicators or magical items/enchantments.

Pros
Communitcation over distances. It is an easy way of calling for backup when in trouble, and it provides a way to set up IC scenarios very quickly.

Cons
Character may not have communicator on them, it can be broken or malfunction. It can be turned off, which negates the con, though this is both and IC and OOC decision to not make yourself available for RP much in the same manner as not being in the location for the above suggestion would be. This is very common, and in my personal experience, it is used sparingly. Very little development happens over it, as you'll still need to be in a physical location in order to RP 'face to face'. Often there is confusion as well over what the communicators pick up (thoughts VS words, emotions VS laughter, static VS ???).

Common Post Style
Long form: Hassien's voice crackles over the communicator, furious. "What is this? How could you simply misplace a thousand gold?"
Short form: "What is this? How could you simply misplace a thousand gold?"

Potential Communication Methods
Communicator (engineered)
Enchanted Hearthstone
Magical artifact or jewellery

Both Channels

How would it work?
Simple. We would use /g for a location and /o for a communicator. OOC chat would be moved to a seperate channel that people would be free to join on as alts.

Pros:
It keeps our RP community intact while allowing alts and friends to socialize OOCly with us. It also offers the most options for RP, as you would have both of the above available.

Cons:
It means using a third channel for OOC, and it might mean a lot of posting should someone be speaking on the communicator with someone while from the IC location.

See above for posting styles and potential uses.

No IC Channel

What it is
Exactly what the name implies. There would be no IC channel. As a result, all RP within the guild would need to be done 'face to face' and methods of communication would be restricted to letters via mail.

Pros
Simplest solution. Encourages random RP within the cities and requires face to face development.

Cons
Most restrictive option. May encourage members to seek most/all RP outside the guild.

Please respond via the poll. If you have any suggestions, comments, critique or complaints about anything in this post or regarding IC channels, please post below!

Back to top Go down
http://amphitheatrewra.tk
Seamus
Admin
Seamus

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:47 pm

I've always been a sucker for communicators and would adore there to be one. Most of the things I do in the game are IC, so an IC location would feel restrictive though that's mostly only due to my own personal play style. I'd have a hard time being in the IC location if I was, for example, doing a BG, since enlistment into battles is another one of the things I do IC. However communicating over a comm or magical device while in said BG? That works for me.

^ My two cents.
Back to top Go down
Oriena

Oriena

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:51 pm

I myself am fond of communicator type. It gives characters the ability to get in touch at a distance in a way outside of mail which is generally much slower. A device that conveys thoughts/emotions adds to the posts, but it isn't necessary. Of course, thinking it over I wouldn't mind having a set location as well. Get more RP done while doing quests/farming/etc. I personally voted for communicator style because it makes for easier contact, but I have no qualms against the other.
Back to top Go down
Hassien
Admin
Hassien

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 pm

I figure I should add in my thoughts on this as well.

I voted for having both. The reason I did so was, like Seamus, I am often out and about ICly and because of this a location would not be a constant for me; There is no way for me to be there all of the time, and having the ability to call for help or converse privately over distances is, in my opinion, irreplaceable.

That being said, there are a great many times when I turn down RP because I have to do some much needed farming or alt leveling, or even gearing. A location allows for actual development at my own leisure and pace, without needing to hearth, take a portal, get RP gear, and twiddle my thumbs doing nothing in between posts.

It's my own two cents. I'm curious to see how the poll turns out. I think that we should turn this thread into a meeting-style discussion. Feel free to post reasons against options as well as support them!
Back to top Go down
Seamus
Admin
Seamus

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:12 pm

I do like the idea of being able to have rp and character development without needing to drop absolutely everything to sit there in a city and rp face to face. It's appealing.

Having one channel comm, one channel IC, and a custom channel for OOC doesn't seem like a bad idea, I like the thought of a custom OOC channel since it makes it easier for anyone with an alt outside of the guild or friends, or any such things.

But back on IC location > While appealing, I'm not fully sold on it. My thoughts are if there seems to be enough interest in it is to possibly give it a shot? See how it's received, if it's used actively, etc.

If there's one thing I don't think I could bear to be without though it's IC communication device. I love them so.
Back to top Go down
Gilthilas

Gilthilas

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Personally I voted, myself, for both.

I enjoy the idea of having a location-style RP channel, and always have. To me, it gives a bit more of a choice of what you want to RP, who you want to RP with, etc. For example, upon logging in, you can make the choice of trying to find city RP, going and grabbing a friend for RP in the city or wherever, or going and doing what you wish OOCly, while having your character walk into the IC location of RP.

Now that does eliminate a bit of random RP, and also has to put a bit of a barrier in place for metagaming (while you may read what's in guild chat, if your character's not there, he/she won't know what's happening outside of the communicator-link chat.) Though this does stand as a bit of a block for random city RP, or city RP in general, you can just as easily decide you'd rather have stroll about the city, and have your character leave the room. This still allows for your character to communicate with the comm (which is why I voted both) and as so, also gives the ability to go back OOC and walk again into wherever this location for IC is decided.

Overall, I think it's best to have both, at least for the start, and see where it goes. As long as people can understand the fact that it's a -choice- to be in the city or in the IC channel, and not something that you're meant to do both of, I don't think it would bring too terribly many problems. Simply a line must be drawn between where your character's location is, and you have to keep that in mind while you move in and out of character in game.
Back to top Go down
Hassien
Admin
Hassien

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 pm

The only thing I'm concerned about in having both is that it will encourage people like myself to GTFO of the city more often. I'm all for farming, but RP is one of the few-ish times I really maintain a presence in cities. That being said, I'm also a bit wary of over-complicating the RP situation. Though I suppose it makes no difference between RPing in person and having a comm VS RPing in a channel and having a comm.
Back to top Go down
Gilthilas

Gilthilas

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 pm

I'd say it's a choice by choice basis on how you feel that day. If it becomes too much of an issue, or we feel an outright need to be more public, then it would make sense to work through that, and check back on it again in a few months. I'm fine with either, since to me the location channel is just the option of cake with icing and sprinkles, or just icing.
Back to top Go down
Hassien
Admin
Hassien

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Gilthilas wrote:
I'm fine with either, since to me the location channel is just the option of cake with icing and sprinkles, or just icing.

Rainbow, or just chocolate? For sprinkles, that is.
Back to top Go down
Seamus
Admin
Seamus

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Rainbow.
Back to top Go down
Gilthilas

Gilthilas

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Rofl who the fuck eats just chocolate sprinkles.

Rainbow all the fucking way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IC Channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Channels   IC Channels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IC Channels
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Community :: General Discussion-
Jump to: